Monday, January 23, 2006

The R-Word.

(From Dominic Deegan, Oracle for Hire. Click for full sized Quick Thinking.)


I have to say that I've been seriously digging what Mookie's been doing lately. Because, for me, it seems like this storyarc is breathing new life into my rabid interest in DD.

Now, don't get me wrong. I've always liked Dominic, Gregory, Luna, Spark, and the gang. I like the humor in Dominic Deegan (the puns notwithstanding), and the way that it's mixed with the serious storylines. I like the way that Mookie builds his fantasy world and develops the races and rules. I like the way he develops characters.

It's just that the whole thing with the Storm of Souls and the subsequent battle for Barthis... I wasn't feeling it. It was cool and all, but it somehow didn't capture me as much as some of the beginning stuff seemed to. For a while, I was lackluster about Dominic Deegan.

Oh, wait... false alarm. I'm interested again. Because this thing with the Orcs... is awesome.

Let me just preface this by saying that I've always liked the way Mookie invisions Orcs. I always have. And since they were first introduced, he's been weaving in little things that give us furtive glimpses of how Orcish culture and individuals work in this world.

First in this storyline was the way that he introduced the characters. There wasn't really a sharp division between the concert and the beginning of the new arc about the Orcs. They just sort of showed up, stuff happened, (along with foreshadowing which even started earlier, you see...) and we moved on. But then things got more central. Bulgak the Orcish Infernomancer (and what's up with him anyway? Why is Stonewater hanging out with him? I WANNA KNOW!) passed out and Dominic saw somebody bad. But then it got overshadowed by the plot coming back around to whatever happened between Melna and Stonewater, which is really what caught my attention in the first place. And then, the R-Word came out. Melna says that Stonewater raped her.

Holy crap.

Holy. Crap.

So now we're getting backstory explaining what happened. Which, I must say, I am very keen to hear. This is Mookie opening up on new characters, weaving their stories into bits of the culture that he's invisioned for Orcs in his world.

Also, just as a note? His Orc girls are hot.

...Well, actually, I really just want to talk about his art at this point. The Orcs in the world of DD are extremely humanoid, and Mookie has succeeded in making them look like Orcs (fangs, green skin, funky hair, etc.) but also making his cast of a solid dozen Orcs look different from each other, distinctively male or female, and still moderately attractive to human aesthetics.

That's nifty, folks.

Needless to say, I'm hooked on this storyline like I haven't been for a long while, now. I want to know what happens next.

A cookie for Mookie. At least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home