Sunday, February 19, 2006

In Heaven There Is No Beer / That's Why We Drink It Here / And When We Are Gone From Here / All Our Friends Will Be Drinking All Our Beer

(From Malfunction Junction. Click for full sized Flamethrowers are always the answer.)


The power to bookmark pages is both a blessing and a curse.

Let me explain.

My method of acquiring new webcomics is fairly simple, yet effective. Anytime I run across a recommendation or link to some sort of sequential art site somewhere, I will quickly click on the link and bookmark the site into the little corner of my Bookmarks labeled "Grab Bag".

Then, at a later time when I feel the inclination and have the time, I already have a good little mess o' fresh virgin webcomics ready for my perusal. It's a process that's been honed over many months of "not being able to find that comic that that guy mentioned that one time," and it works rather well.

Of course, the bad points tend to rear their ugly heads occasionally as well. If you don't pay attention you can end up bookmarking the same strip two or three times, of course, but that's not the bad part.

The bad part is that they build up alarmingly quickly, and then you have scads of random titles that you remember nothing about to sift through. And even this wouldn't be so bad if they were all quality strips.

...But since I don't do any sort of cursory screening process before I bookmark in the first place, about ninety percent of what's in my Grab Bag at any point and time simply stinks rather drastically. So I end up having to sift through a whole lot of crap to find the occasional gem.

This week, in the wake of my serious PvP archive crawl, my ingestion of 8 1/2 by Eleven, and my reread of Schlock Mercenary, my Grab Bag built up to unprescedented levels, and when I came up for air this morning I was astonished to find that I had over ninety strips bookmarked. This, of course, was rather intimidating, but I decided to bite the bullet and wade in. And, like usual, a good many of the strips I checked lost me by the first week or so of strips. I was even beginning to grow disheartened, when suddenly Malfunction Junction crossed my radar. It was gag-a-day, which I don't prefer. It was a journal comic, which I don't prefer. Some of the jokes were kind of disgusting.


But by gosh if it wasn't one of the funniest things I've ever read. It grabbed me right out of the gate, and didn't let go until I was through the archives completely, then jumped over to take a look at Gin and the Devil, his other strip, and dangit if it wasn't funny too.

And I immediately knew once again why I do this Grab Bag thing anyway.

So take a gander, folks. It's seriously just purely funny, in a way that reminds me strongly of Rob and Elliot, which (in case you don't know) is a good thing. You won't be disappointed.

_Kneefers

3 Comments:

Blogger tedzsee said...

yikes.... hearing one's name in a list that includes PvP and Schlock Mercenary is scary. Although scarier still is the assertion that 90% of the comics in your Grab Bag stink. I hope you find that mine isn't one of those.

Le sigh!

-Lucas

PS: Some fine artwork in the included strip in this post, I must say.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Kneefers said...

I actually liked your comic, Lucas. I read Andrew Araki's review over on ComicsRock and I realized that I'd never even checked it out, so I gave it a look, and I was duly impressed. It moved kinda slow, but that gave it really good character development. You made me interested in your charaters. Which is pretty much what I like in a story. So... kudos.

7:55 PM  
Blogger Mr K said...

ha ha, thats nasty. I like it.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home