Thursday, December 08, 2005

*Sigh.* Alright, fine. Cover me, I'm going in.

(From Websnark. Click for... well, there really isn't an image. Just... click on the link for hardc0re discussionage.)

You know what? Screw it.

Hear ye, hear ye, come one and come all to bear witness: I am going to read Penny Arcade. The whole *#&@ thing. Every strip in the archives.

Never mind that I'm in the middle of rereading RPGWorld at the moment.

Never mind that finals are coming up.

Never mind that I have almost fifty comics in my Grab Bag that I still need to check on at some point.

Never mind that I'm still working my way through It's Walky!

I am gonna read Penny Arcade. The whole archives this time, and none of this get-one-year-through-the-archives-and-drop-it nonsense I am going to read the whole thing, and if I don't like it, then...

Dunno what I'll do. Actually, I'm betting it will grow on me like an evil mold and I'll end up at least chuckling a bit. Because the thing is... see...

*Sigh.* PA is like Achewood or Daily Dinosaur Comics or Superosity to me. They're ethereal, phantasmal, floating above me just a liiiiiiiiitle out of my reach. They look good, but when I jump up for them and just can't do it I just look like an idiot. I want to like them. Eric likes them. Lots of people like them. Why don't I? I like webcomics, right? I have an impressively sized trawl with some good stuff but mostly cluttered with halfway decent comics. So... why is PA such a big deal?

I don't know. So I'm going to try again. (For the record, this is the fifth time I've tried to do a serious PA archive crawl. Fifth. No, I'm not exagerrating, that's an actual figure.)

But I'll eat my socks if I like it better than Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

3 Comments:

Blogger tedzsee said...

There are lots of other comics worth more of your time, though.

Also, just because Eric likes it doesn't make it comic godness.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Peter C. Hayward said...

I unabashedly hate Penny Arcade. Admittedly, I had a bad introduction to it, but I have tried many times to like it, and I just can't. I can respect the writers for their charitable deeds, I can admire the quality of the artwork, I can be interested in their blogs, but as a webcomic? I hate it.

The reason being; it's simply not clever in any way, shape or form. A large percent of the comics don't even have a punchline. They try to substitute references to video games as jokes, insults that are irrelevant and not even clever...thousands of little tricks. Apparently, this works for some people. Not for me.

As an example, look at the first comic. They try a reference to the loading times, an exaggeration of how long said loading times are, and they even attempt some basic slapstick, following the whole thing up with a non sequiter.

It just doesn't work...

I do, however, love and adore Daily Dinosaur Comic.



Note: I signed up for Blogger just to leave this comment. You owe me, big boy.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Kneefers said...

I appreciate the comic.

See, the thing is, I suspect that I might like PA if I could actually get into it. What I've read of it, however, I haven't particularly liked. So, in a way, in reading PA, I can then say, defenitively, whether or not I like it.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home